Thursday, February 10, 2011

Secret Dork Origins: The Danzig Skull

So I ain't been around the nerd farm much lately. My apologies. The research for our on-goin' history of the Comics Code has been takin' up so much of my time that I haven't been postin' at my usual pace. While it's great that I get to re-read the Spider-Man drug issues, I have missed flappin' my gums at you. So here's a quick little piece of Dork History to tide us both over til the next chapter's ready for public consumption...

Lots of dorks know this logo all too well:


That's the emblem (and first album cover) of the horror-rock band Danzig, named after lead singer Glenn Danzig (who also fronted the even-better horror-punk band the Misfits):

Comics fans will also be very familiar with Glenn's sideburns.

But did you know where Danzig got that bad-ass skull from? No, it's not original artwork. And no, it's not something from a heavy metal artist with a cool name like Pus-Head. It actually comes from here:


Look right here, at the bottom.

That's right! The Danzig skull is taken, pretty much exactly, from Michael Golden's illustration for the cover of Crystar the Crystal Warrior #8! An early-80s fantasy comic, Crystar was Marvel's attempt to sell a concept to a toy company (a reversal of their successful GI Joe, Micronauts, and ROM: Spaceknight series). I loved this book when I was a kid, and so, apparently, did Glenn.

1 comment:

  1. Something that only just occurred to me: the woman on the cover there (who was Crystar's girlfriend, if memory serves) looks kind of like DC's Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld character ... in a thong. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete